For the most part, my reposts happen on the closed platforms directly, simply because it’s easier to retweet from a Twitter client or share from the Facebook mobile site than it is to repost and syndicate from my own site. Facebook, for example, doesn’t support reposts, so if you want to share someone’s post you came across on that network, you’re forced to do so from within Facebook. Twitter is a bit more permissive I think, but those days are numbered.
To add to all this, for me, social media, (with the exception of Mastodon and Micro.blog), has, to put it charitably, lost its luster. It’s become a chore, both personally and professionally, and the bad has finally gotten to the point where it outweighs the good for me. On a professional level, publishing criteria are getting so strict that publishing content, (especially when you’re scheduling it so as to not spend all your time staring at a social media client), has become fairly difficult, both because of the publishing rules themselves and because of the inaccessibility of scheduling services and their apps. This is most of the reason why I’m pulling the trigger and going full indieweb later this month. How the closed platforms treat their third-party developers also has some influence on my decision to pull the trigger.
I want to say that Genesis supports some microformats, but I’m not sure which ones, and I’m definitely sure there’s no microformats 2 support. the main reason I want to check and/or add support, maybe as a plugin at first, is because I’ve got some custom post types on my work-related site that I can’t afford to lose, and that I’d have to add to another theme. I’d like to incorporate as much indieweb into that site as possible, and start incorporating it into client projects as well, so accessibility plus open web plus own your data. Thanks for the resources, and of course as I get free time, I’ll definitely work on this. And of course document all the things.
Anyway, I received some very helpful feedback from the author of the original post regarding my current installation, which included a link to the project’s Github. This is great, both because I’m really looking forward to using this since I really don’t like messing around with Pocket/Instapaper due to their accessibility issues, plus owning your bookmarks. So far the only problem I’ve found, other than the issue mentioned in the feedback, is one where the bookmarklet cannot be accessed with a keyboard. You have to use a mouse. So I’ll be filing an issue, and hopefully a pull request, because along with the Indieweb implications and uses for this, it also presents a great alternative for controlling the display of the lists of links we collect, allowing for the creatin of accessible user interfaces.
Also, Twitter’s 140-character limit is extra frustrating when you realize that you can reply to tweets from your own website, not be stuck trying to fit things in 140-char chunks, and keep ownership of the content, which is why I replied here. I need to finish getting customerservant.com switched over to a theme with complete microformat/microformat 2 support, and am looking at how to do this with the Genesis framework if possible.