OK, so this blew up and ate my content. It was supposed to be a quick bit of writing about my stay over at Wil and Denise’s, exchanging gifts and eating goodies, and then being lazy today. But I’ll have to figure out how to view revisions, and by figure out, I mean I’ll have to do some reading because bottom line is I can’t remember how to view them. Once I figure that out, I’ll add the original content back to this post.
This is cute, even though you can really tell it was edited. Enjoy Captain Picard and the rest of the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew as they “sing” “Let It Snow”.
It isn’t the food, (well, OK the food’s pretty great), and it isn’t the gifts. It’s eggnog. I don’t consider eggnog food. It’s in a category all by itself. I think it’s probably what the angels and the righteous drink in the World to Come, and if I have my way it’ll be served at the Messianic feast, along with lots of other goodies.
Anyway, Trep has posted his recipe again this year, and since I’ve got a mixer now, I might actually make it. So without further adeu, here’s the recipe with instruction, and some well-chosen comments.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup brandy, rum or bourbon (optional but highly recommended)
- All liquids should be very cold. Refrigerate in advance.
- Beat the eggs for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Turn the mixer off and stir in the cold booze, whipping cream and milk.
- Chill some more before serving (if you can wait… I never can).
- Sprinkle individual servings with more nutmeg.
Makes a little over 2 quarts (after taking several ‘samples’ for quality control purposes)
What are you still doing here looking at the screen?! The kitchen is that way!